Thursday, January 29, 2009

So, it's been a while. . . well it seems like an eternity but really only a few months. Writing is my outlet but it is also the first step of me admitting the truth to myself. If I put it in writing, than it is true. If I have enough courage to write it in black and white then I have the courage to face whatever is going on. . . that I have the strength to accept all things good and bad, relishing in the fact that all things are controlled by MY sovereign and loving GOD. This is me trying to, I suppose, cope with the last few months. Carter as far as his EE has been progressing marvelously. . . better than any one expected. So, for this, I give thanks and believe me I am so thankful for the grace and healing of God. It seems however, that his journey may be leading us down yet another, unexpected road.

Tomorrow, we start down a new and different road. We begin the work up of diagnosing Carter with Mitochondrial disease. While I hear what the doctors are telling me, I don't listen. I see my child. He is amazingly perfect. I can't bring myself to a place where I can accept that he may have something that could take his life early. I get that he has ALL the symptoms. I get that when I read the description of Mito, they are describing my son. I suppose I have already come to terms with it in a sense but the reality will not hit me until I know for sure. Until I see it in black and white.

I talked to Dr. P 2 weeks ago, he says, "so far, I have not misdiagnosed even one child with Mito by looking at symptoms alone." Wow! Amazing! I am amazed by his abilities and thankful that parents have someone like him. He then says, "I think Carter needs to see a Neurologist." WAIT. . . I am one of those parents. But Carter has all of the symptoms except for mental delays. . . so maybe, just maybe, they are wrong. . . I will hold on to this hope no matter how small it may be. And I will push ahead. I will talk to the doctor tomorrow. I will listen and hear him. I probably won't believe him until I see a Doctor in Cincinnati but at least I am starting down the road.

It is amazing, people have always told me I am a natural care taker. . .I agree. I will do whatever it takes. The last five years, while, intense, have been "easy." I take what I get and deal with it. However, I have been able to hold tightly onto the fact that I will see my baby as a grandpa. What if that changes? What do I do? I already hear myself, and it scares me. . . "Scott maybe we should look for a one story house. . .something we can use a wheel chair in." "When Carter gets officially diagnosed, we need to think about moving to Ohio." "Maybe we should get a yard trampoline, to help Carter's muscles." I don't like that I have to go there. I don't like what this all encompassing disease has done to my son. I don't like that so many EOS families have to deal with Mito everyday. This is not just a "food disease". . . this is a whole body disease.

We just had Carter's ISP meeting. I know I was there. . .it was at my kitchen table but at times I felt like they were talking about a different child. How to get oxygen in, when is it time for a full wheel chair (not just the special needs stroller we are using now), how much in home nursing care does he need. . . Is this my child? Is this my life?

At the end of the day, I have to realize that it is. I can honestly say that I wake up thanking God every day and go to bed thanking him too. I know and am comforted in the fact that he is in control. I feel amazingly blessed that for some reason, I was given Carter. I will not wish for something different I am just scared. My mind goes places that I don't want it to but it is reality. So, I guess, I will deal with it.



2 comments:

clmichel said...

Thank you for your comment on our blog and for even thinking of us. It is comforting to know others are out there. WOW, reading your blog makes me so grateful for our situation. You must be a very strong and awesome mother.
I have never heard of or had any doc tell me of any other issues to watch out for with EE like the issues you are dealing with. Now i'm a little nervous. You have a cute kid there.
Good luck,
clmichel

Ross and Lisa said...

Hi Jennifer,

I am glad to see you posting again! Those Cincy doctors are amazing! We also see Dr.P. Would you mind giving me a run-down of the symptoms of mito for children with EE? I am curious to see if Abigail has any of these symptoms. However, I have heard the symptoms are somewhat different to EE patients. Any help you could offer would be great. It is amazing how our Heavenly Father blesses us with the strength to cope with the things that would seem nearly impossible without Him carrying us through.