Saturday, September 13, 2008

Makeup and politics. .

No, I am not talking about a lipstick wearing soccer mom or even a lipstick wearing pig. . .

A few weeks ago me and my boys were enjoying our usual Starbucks when a woman approached me. She told me that she was trying to conduct a research study and asked me of I would be willing to participate. Even though I was a little annoyed because she was after all interrupting my latte and conversation, I took pity on her. I guess I felt a little sorry for her because I remember hours of hopelessly and helplessly asking people to please participate in my research study when I was in college. After all, my plan was to go on to to get my Master's in psychology. I became very involved in research so that I could officially have my name published in the APA journal before I finished my undergrad work. Long story short, I did a lot of research and subjected many people to my endless surveys. So, here I sat in Starbucks filling out her survey. It asked things about how much time you took getting yourself ready in the morning, how important it was to you to get ready for the day, etc. At the end, it asked for a phone number. Hmmmm? I should have known then however, still giving her benefit of the doubt, (maybe it was to contact me later for her study, right?) I gave it to her. By that evening, I started receiving phone calls from this lady who was not a psychology student but rather a Mary Kay consultant. I have been dodging this ladies calls for weeks and subjecting Scott by making him answer her calls. He finally told me the other night, I need to tell her I am not interested. So, Thursday morning, I am hanging out with my little man and the phone rings. What do you know, it's her!?! After listening to her little advertising jingle, I tell her I am not interested. O.K. so this lady has been calling me nonstop for weeks, she is not going to go away easily. I tell her, "no, I am not interested. I do not have the time either. I have a special needs son who requires all of my time." She says to me, "oh, I understand but you still need to wear makeup." Huh?!? I say, "you have a special needs child too?" "Well, no but I do have a child." I tell her, "come live a day in my life and then we can talk makeup." Guess what? she has not called back since;)

On to politics. So, I have a friend who actually reminds me a lot of me. She is very opinionated and very strong. We get along really well and she is becoming a great friend. However, she has one flaw, she happens to be an Obama fan. Hehehe. Seriously though she is just as passionate about Obama as I am about McCain and she knows how to have an educated debate. She makes sure to educate herself on the man that she thinks should be president (and the one she doesn't) and doesn't blindly say "we need a change" without even knowing what needs to be changed. We had a long debate about our views and why we like our candidate and we were able to see the other one's points. It was amazing to have a real conversation with someone who is educated about politics. After our discussion, I was so enlightened by our talk that I told some people about it and you know what, I heard some crazy stuff, all of which I agree.

There is a reason or actually multiple reasons that I will vote for McCain. Things that I am passionate about will steer my vote (mainly health care and abortion). This is how people should be voting. I am getting so tired of all these people my age ( I guess we are the new generation of voters or the young vote) saying "we need a change." Seriously? They don't even know what they are talking about. After talking with quite a few older people, I now know why so many people think young adults are dumb. . . mainly because we are! Don't tell people you "want a change" and that you should "Barrack the vote" when you don't even know the three branches of government. Do you even know who the vice president is? Speaker of the house? Seriously, do you know the parts of government? Do you know that not one man (the president) is responsible for everything that goes on? Do you know that we have a little thing called congress and everything has to go through them? The president is NOT the end all say all. Of course we need a change. By law we have to have a change. Bush can't stay in office any longer. He has served his time and has gotten a lot accomplished. In light of 9/11, think about this, in seven years, have we had another terrorist attack? Obviously, our government is doing something.

Whether you like Obama or McCain is a personal decision. But don't walk around campaigning for someone when you don't even know the basics about the government. Figure out what is important to you and to your beliefs and vote accordingly. I have more respect for my Obama loving friend than I ever have because I know that she will vote because she is informed and has made her decision according to her passions. I will even still be seen in public with her even if she does keep wearing her Obama button. . .

No comments: